Beverley High School logo
Inspiring a love of learning

“Inspiring a love of learning”

‘The lessons and the teachers are really good and I’ve made so many more friends since starting the sixth form’ Emily, Year 12

‘I’ve been able to achieve a level of independence but still rely on the support of staff I know when I’ve needed it’ Beth, Year 13

‘To begin with I was nervous about meeting new people but everyone has been welcoming. The subjects I chose are right for me and the teachers are helpful. Coming here was the right decision’ A new student who started in Yr 12

“I taught in several schools and I was only blessed with sons but I firmly believe that if I had a daughter I would want her to go to this school because I am aware at first hand of the dedication of all of its staff to the care and education of the girls. This school does realise that it is precious cargo that it carries.” A former teacher

Product Design

Product Design is about improving people’s lives by designing and making something they need or want. Products are designed to make life easier and more enjoyable, or to make a task or activity more efficient. A good product is something that works well and is satisfying to use.

Course Outline

During the course you will be expected to work in similar ways to professional product designers. The course will be taught through a series of design and make projects during which you will work in a variety of materials including paper/card, plastic and wood. Through developing possible solutions to design problems, you will improve your practical skills as well as learning about :-

  • Properties of materials
  • How products are made in industry
  • Human factors which influence designers
  • Effective use of I.C.T. including C.A.D./C.A.M.
  • The history of design

The second year of the course is largely devoted to coursework. A single design and make project set by the exam board will account for 60% of your total marks. A two hour written exam taken in the summer will account for the remaining 40% of your marks.

Announcements

** Open Evening - Thursday 5th October **

Read more >


Latest News

Molly Tulloch - Dressage Success!

Molly Tulloch - future GB Dressage star? Read more >

Georgina Baguley - Head Chorister at Beverley Minster

Georgina Baguley - Head Chorister at Beverley Minster! Read more >

Ellie Peaks - Reaching for the Top!

Ellie Peaks - Netball Success! Read more >